Stainless steel offers long-term corrosion resistance in aggressive environments such as coastal areas and places where moisture may accumulate. However, stainless steel is not always effective when fastened to a certain dissimilar types of metal, resulting in ingalvanic corrosion. To prevent this, each AllFlex® fastener is coated with a Stalgard® GB (Galvanic Barrier) finish. Stalgard® GB provides far greater galvanic protection for aluminum components than standard (300 series) stainless steel fasteners.
AllFlex® stainless steel thread cutting and self-tapping fasteners are made in the U.S.A. and have a proven success record in architectural applications around the world. They are the ideal fastening solution for curtain walls, windows, doors and other applications that include a dissimilar metal, such as aluminum. Stainless steel coupled with the Stalgard® GB coating gives AllFlex® superior protection in the harshest environments.
Types of Corrosion
Uniform Corrosion is the general breakdown of a metal into an oxide of the metal or other corrosion product. The most common type of uniform corrosion is the visible formation of red rust on steel. 300 series stainless steel provides excellent resistance to uniform corrosion.
Galvanic Corrosion occurs when dissimilar metals are joined in the presence of an electrolyte like water. One metal will become the anode, or sacrificial component, and the other metal will be the cathode, or the metal that does not corrode. Stalgard® GB coating provides a galvanic barrier to protect aluminum from becoming sacrificial to the stainless fastener. Preserving the integrity of both the fastener and the application materials help prevent joint failure and retain high aesthetic quality.
- Type B & AB Self Tapping screws, and Type F & 23 Thread Cutting screws, in aluminum components, eliminating tapping operations allowing for a faster installation.
- Stalgard® GB coating prevents galvanic reaction between stainless steel fasteners and aluminum components.
- Stainless steel offers long term corrosion resistance in aggressive environments, including coastal areas.
- Combination of features retains joint and material integrity to help ensure long-term quality.
- Curtain walls, including aluminum panels.
- Windows and doors.
- Buildings in a marine environment.
- Structures in pool and spa areas.
- Hurricane protection systems.
- Explosion-control system.
- Materials – 302ss, 304ss, 316ss, 410ss, 430s
- Diameters – #8-3⁄8”
- Head Styles and Drive Systems – Hex Washer, Phillips Pan, Phillips Flat, Phillips Flat Undercut, etc.
- Thread and Point Styles – Type F & 23 Thread Cutting,Type AB & B Self Tapping, etc.
- Finish – Stalgard® GB (Galvanic Barrier) coating
- Specials available upon request